Aviation flight training overview
New Zealand’s supplies ‘fit for purpose’ pilots and the aviation training industry is recognised internationally for its innovation, quality standards and highly skilled workforce.
New Zealand’s varied geography, weather and its vast and clear airspace provide an unrivalled environment for year-round pilot training. In addition, New Zealand has a strong focus on aviation safety and has developed a network of pilot training providers with exceptional capability and expertise.
Aviation organisations in New Zealand have been delivering high quality training for more than 90 years. The industry offers many well established courses as well as regularly developing new programmes to meet the increasing and changing demand from the global aviation industry.
This experience and innovative approach has resulted in New Zealand being known around the world for producing well rounded professionals with internationally respected qualifications.
New Zealand expertise in aviation training includes:
- full professional flight training for pilots, cabin crew and support staff
- high quality training of aircraft maintenance and engineering staff
- air navigation and air traffic control training
- medical training for airline medical officers, cabin crew and aviation medical examiners
- English language training for pilots, air traffic controllers and air navigation staff
- partnering to develop customised flight training in other countries
- degree and diploma courses
Stringent Requirements for Aviation Training Providers
Aviation New Zealand only supports trainers that meet prescribed requirements. Training providers must be:
- Certified by the New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority
- Members of the Aviation Industry Association
- Deliver qualifications that are approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority
- Signatories to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral care of International Students and to the AIA Code of Practice for Professional Pilot Training
- Able to provide accommodation options for all trainees.